The complete guide to help you make the switch.
Still on the fence about whether a solid conditioner bar is right for you? If you have never used a solid hair product before and are not entirely sure what they are, you have come to the right place!
We’ll help you get all clued up about conditioner bars, how to use them, and address your burning questions but before you ask, YES, they do work!
We have put together everything you need to know about selecting a clever little solid conditioner bar that is right for you and your hair.
Solid conditioner bars – everything you need to know
We make 7 solid conditioner bars and 3 conditioner Concentrates for all kinds of hair including dry hair, oily hair, sensitive scalps, balanced hair, curly hair and even a gentle solid conditioner bar for little ones.
- Just one of our conditioner bars is equal in concentration to five of your standard 350ml plastic liquid conditioner bottles. Yes, five. Or, in the case of our Curliosity solid conditioner and co-wash, one bar is equivalent to nine bottles.
- Our conditioner bars are multi-use and can be used as a leave-in conditioner, shaving bar, an in-shower body moisturiser, a co-wash for curly hair AND a deep conditioning hair mask treatment. We know, right?
- All our bars are 100% soap-free and safe for colour treated hair.
- There is a scent-free option for sensitive skin and the fussiest of scalps.
- You get an average of 120 washes out of a single solid conditioner bar.
How do you use a solid conditioner bar?
Like everything new, using a conditioner bar may take a few tries to get used to. Our conditioners may feel a little different when applying in the shower, but your hair will love you just as much, if not more when you are rinsing the conditioner out and once you’re done.
Applying your conditioner bar to your hair
- After shampooing your hair, wet your hair thoroughly - as our conditioner bars lack water (a key ingredient for hydration), it’s important to ensure your hair is wet so you get enough product payoff.
- Wet the conditioner bar.
- Slide the conditioner bar directly down your hair 4-5 times, focusing more product on the mid-lengths and ends where strands are usually drier. If you have oily hair, avoid applying any conditioner to your roots.
Top tip: If your hair is thick, we recommend separating your hair into 2 or 4 easy to manage sections and applying the bar in the same way on each section, to ensure an even product distribution.
- Use your fingers or a wide-toothed comb to evenly distribute the conditioner through your hair. Leave for 1-2 minutes to work its magic, then rinse and feel the silky softness!
- Dry and style your hair as normal.
Enjoy your freshly washed soft and beautifully shiny hair!
Prefer watching how to-use videos? Here you go: Ethique: How to use a solid conditioner bar
Should you apply the conditioner bar to your roots and scalp?
As a rule of thumb, conditioner is typically applied to the mid-lengths and ends of your hair. If your hair is oily this may be the best application for you, but if your hair is super thick or curly you may want a little extra conditioning on the roots and scalp.
If you are unsure, we recommend swiping from the ear line down and massaging into the hair.
How long do you leave the conditioner on your hair for?
1-2 minutes is enough time for your hair to absorb the delicious goodness of the conditioner, massage it in, comb it through to ensure that the product has been distributed evenly and rinse.
Remember our bars are super concentrated and very little goes a long way.
Choosing the right conditioner bar for you
We know that making the switch from liquid to solid hair care products can feel really daunting. So we have made it nice and easy for you to get started with our Discovery Packs. Our range of solid conditioner minis last up to 15 washes each and are also the perfect starter bars to keep in your bag for gym or travel.
Just not a fan of solid conditioner bars? We’ve got you covered! Explore our range of plastic-free solid-to-liquid hair care Concentrates.
Storing your solid conditioner bar
When you #giveupthebottle, new ways of doing things become a part of your everyday life. Like keeping your solid bars dry and in tip-top shape so you can use them for longer. Even when your bars are down to their last little sliver, there are still ways to use them so there is no need to ever throw the little bits away or let them float down the drain.
Is it time to break up with your plastic bottles? Take the leap, make the switch, your hair, your wallet and the planet will love you for it.